Ari Kaplan's Oracle Tips:
You can view all tips in a particular category by clicking on one below:
403. How to make an "ISNUMBER" function
Multiple DBs on the Same Server
401. Seeing duplicated
400. Moving Objects
399. What should
PCTUSED be for frequently updated tables?
398. How To Grant
Privileges to All Users
397. Converting ROWID
396. AUTOEXTEND Syntax
395. Changing the
location of the initSID.ora file from the default
394. Comparing index columns
between two databases
393. Generate CREATE
391. Select the
"last" N records?
390. ORA-1658 :
Temporary Segments not releasing
389. Recover a big
table in archivelog mode
388. When was an Object
387. How to see DB
reads/writes over time
between Access and Oracle 8i
385. What is a
384. How to see DB
reads/writes over time
between Access and Oracle 8i
382. Rebuilding an Index
381. How full is the
380. Substituting _ and
% in SQL
379. What Does
"wrapped sql" Mean?
378. When was the
377. Copying Data
From Test to Production
376. ORA-1630: Max
375. Syntax to Make
374. ConText -
Disabling Passwords From Showing
373. How to Install and
Use the Oracle ConText Server?
372. Auditing Syntax
371. How Many Days
370. Tools for
369. Primary Keys:
Sequences or "Real" Data?
368. "NOT IN"
vs. "NOT EXISTS"
367. LINUX Installation Problems
366. Six diverse
365. Exporting and Importing Indexes
364. What is the DUAL Table?
363. Is It Possible to Describe a Synonym?
362. SQL*Plus Report Gets Distorted After Several
361. [Off Topic] - My
London Oracle Adventure
360. Three Reorg Questions
359. ORA-600 Error
358. Converting Acces 7.0 to Oracle
357. Comparing Data on Two Instances
356. Sequences with "cache" option can
355. LTRIM and RTRIM to see data between -'s
354. How to defrag with export/import ; ConText
353. Procedure correct
but not working in script
352. Changing INITIAL
350. Seven questions (Listener, PQO, Server)
349. Do DBAs need to know programming?
347. Create a small DB from a large DB
346. TEMP is filling up!
344. Exporting Part of
343. Two Conditions with Decode
342. Ingres to Oracle
341. Dumping a Schema
340. Missing rollback segment
339. Migrating from Access to Oracle
338. Slow CREATE and DROP TABLE and SYSTEM
337. Connectivity between Client and Server..
336. Dropping a database
335. Archival and Restoration of inactive data
334. Resources for learning more about Oracle
333. I can't find my
archived redo logs!
332. What is the default maximum sequence value?
331. What users and SQL
are locking rows/tables?
330. Finding the size of an index
329. SQL help
328. Will deleting
dump files affect the database?
327. Four questions
(ROWID, Savepoints, Recovery Steps, alter sequence #)
326. ORA 1653: Unable
to Extend Table
325. Is Export/Import the best way to recreate
324. Can't drop a table
323. Oracle Licensing - How Much Does It Cost?
322. TKPROF syntax
321. ORA-4090 error
320. Oracle sequences:
how does it work internally?
319. select the last n records from a table
318. Working with
317. SQL: Truncate and referential integrity
316. Using an inner SELECT statement with UPDATE
315. Multiple Triggers on one table? Also, Temporary
314. Methods to recover database
313. Sample Data Warehouse init.ora file
312. Where is OPTIMAL
Rollback Segment value stored in Oracle DD?
311. What Init file values are being used?
310. Export-related questions
309. NOT EXISTS
308. Basic PL/SQL questions
307. Changing column
306. Restricting users to only their own records in
305. What to do if your NEXT won't fit in your
304. Oracle limitations
302. Using TAB as a delimiter in SQL*Loader
301. Freeing up TEMP space after a large JOIN
300. CREATE DATABASE:
a sample script
299. Which views, procedures, and packages are
dependent upon a table?
298. Two EXPLAIN PLAN questions
297. Using DECODE for RANGES of values
296. How to allow EVERY
user access to a table
295. Selecting only EVEN
or ODD records
294. Table Sizing
293. Encryption in SQL*Net 2.3
292. How to see free space within existing extents?
291. What is the best way to perform bulk data
loads: Perl or SQL*Loader?
290. Flushing shared
pool does not free memory?
289. How do you create Export/Import views
288. How to send messages to the Alert Log...
287. How do I install
286. What are the new
features of Oracle8?
285. What are my OPEN_CURSORS and MAX_OPEN_CURSORS?
284. Where are the files associated with my
283. Is DROP TABLE recorded in the redo logs?
282. Storing data in different tables (...or
281. UPDATE with multiple tables
280. Recovering data with export and archived redo
279. ORA-01534: problems with Rollback Segments
278. Reverse-engineering CREATE TABLE with
277. Beginner: joining five tables
276. 1. Who dropped a table? 2. What locks are
275. Is Oracle Year2000 (Y2K) compliant?
274. Getting data from the prior month
273. Do sequences get generated with an import?
272. The potential bad effects of moving a table
from one tablespace to another
271. Dynamically selecting columns in SQL
270. Sequences are skipping numbers...
269. Generating CREATE INDEX commands through
268. Syntax for Hot Backups ; 2) SQLNET.LOG
267. Where does the data go during an import?
266. Bringing Rollback Segs Online After Startup
265. MaxExtents and Block Size
264. Ensuring that the database does not hang due
to archive volume filling
263. Using the TRUNCATE Command
262. Finding Numerals Within a String Field
261. Defining Default Column Value
260. When was a table last had a record
259. Example EXPORT script file, please...
258. Are OPS$ accounts bad for security?
257. Can I examine the contents of the archive log
256. ORA-1658: Cannot create INITIAL extent in TEMP
255. How do I select the 1st, 500th, and 1000th
rows - (with GREAT answer)
254. I can't describe a table that I know exists!
253. Running utlbstat and utlestat in a non-SYS
252. How do you reset a sequence?
251. EXPORTing from a higher Oracle version and
IMPORTing into a lower Oracle version
250. How many cpu's does Oracle recognize?
249. Finding the Database name
248. Finding the optimizer mode for the database
247. Buffer overflow in PL/SQL; avoid writing to
246. Returning the row with the Max total
245. When is it unsafe to IMPORT data in DIRECT
mode? How to drop a database? What is the ConText option?
244. Copying data among tables
243. Finding the "NEXT" and
"PREVIOUS" records in a table
242. Creating two instances on the same server
241. SERVEROUTPUT is limiting me from looping in
240. Searching for the asterisk (*) in a string
239. DBA responsibilities
238. The difference between a row and ROWID
237. Performance of a procedure
236. BECOME USER privilege; rename a column; row
235. Creating a table with a condition that DECODE
234. Recovering in ARCHIVELOG mode
233. Updating rows which may return multiple
232. Triggers on data dictionary; SGA swapping
231. Installing with raw devices
230. What is the BECOME USER privilege?
229. Getting ROWID information
228. Setting large storage parameters
227. Import/Export and INITIAL extent sizes
226. NT vs. NetWare performance
225. Segment and free space allocation
224. Working with \121 character and other
223. SYS tables are chaining...
222. How do TEMP segments get cleared out?
221. Migrating Oracle6 to Oracle7: straight from
220. Limiting rows to the top X records meeting a
219. Deleting duplicate rows
218. Changing the database name
217. Using SQL*Load to load multiple files into one
216. When do triggers fire? Can you export from one
table and import into another?
215. ORA-01000 when altering table
214. Checking available free space
213. Is it ok to trim the listener.log
212. How do you convert Microsoft Access to Oracle?
211. ORA-7331 and the SGA; is the db stable?
210. What software defrags a database while the
database is up?
209. 1) How to defragment a tablespace 2) What
objects are in a tablespace
208. Which users are using which Rollback
207. Converting dBase IV files to Oracle
206. How many OPEN CURSORs do I have?
205. cron jobs: It can't find sqlplus
204. rollback segments are not shrinking
203. Where are the Oracle8 How-To source codes?
202. What's a schema, and should I update SYS
201. Copying constraints, indexes, etc. along with
200. ORA-01555: snapshot is too old error
199. Creating a Database
198. What is a Thread Advance?
197. Picking the Least-Used Rollback Segment for
196. Combining Multiple Event Triggers on One
195. Database Character Sorting
194. How long to migrate Oracle 7.3 to Oracle 8.0?
193. How do you application tune?
192. Breaking up tables with LONG columns
191. Copying data from Access to Oracle
190. What to do if someone says the DB is running
189. How do you see table names in SQL*Plus?
188. Breaking delimited data into separate fields
187. Are multiple extents bad for performance?
186. How do you see the trigger body in the data
185. Can't run Server Manager in Motif mode
184. How do you query ROLLBACK SEGMENTS? Are there
temporary tables? ...
183. Table sizing for data warehouse
182. Which SQL statements are being executed?
181. Renaming a database on NT 4.0
180. Reporting on contiguous freespace sizes for
179. Archiving data onto a second instance
178. Cannot connect to Oracle using connect string
177. 1) 7.3.2 on Linux? 2) Does import use extra
176. 1) Dynamically creating tables 2) Has a
column been indexed ASC or DESC?
175. Copying a database to another server while it
is still up
174. 1) Does unique constraint exist? 2) How do
you use HOST?
173. What does flushing the shared pool do?
171. Oracle error when writing, deleting large
amounts of data
170. Import into a non-empty table
169. Primary Key design
168. Toolkit II problem with Server Manager
167. Becoming Oracle Certified
166. How to learn SQL and PL/SQL
165. Applying Redo Logs Twice
164. Converting LONG to VARHCHAR2
163. Finding which users hog the system
162. ORA-1555: Snapshot Too Old
161. Password Expiration Methods
160. Oracle8.0 for Windows NT - Newbie Question
159. Removing Columns from a Table
158. SQL Quiz
157. Reducing Buffer Cache Misses
156. Instance Startup Parameters
155. Selecting constraints from the dictionary
154. Renaming a database
153. How to rebuild indexes quickly
152. Determining and changing ROLLBACK sizes
151. Finding the total rows in the database
149. Memory & Oracle
148. Determining max concurrent users
147. Shutdown immediate problem
146. INDEXFILE with exports
145. 7.3.2 init.ora parameters
144. Archive log performance
143. How do you read REDO logs?
142. Is it possible to pass args. to a sql script?
141. Creating a second instance
140. rollback segs prob. 18.104.22.168 -> 22.214.171.124
139. dbms_output.put_line: formatting output
137. On Oracle architecture...
136. Checking the used memory
135. Export Utility and the package STANDARD
134. Multiple CPU's help
133. Connecting to DB from home
132. New century - URGENT
131. DESC tables
130. How do I put a & in a varchar2?
129. Clearing rollback segments
128. Decodung Oracle password
127. Analyze Question
126. About database setup... Urgent
125. US7ASCII and Oracle6.0
124. Temporary Segments
123. How to get multiple rows via a stored
122. Replicating LONGS
121. How to detect objects approaching MAXEXTENTS
120. Export speed too slow
119. Writing Ampersands to fields
118. Simple SQL Question from a Beginner
117. Index REBUILD vs DROP/CREATE
116. OFA, utlbstat/utlestat
115. DELETE COMMAND
114. Finding duplicate rows in a table
113. Oracle Import
112. How to set default initial extent when
creating new table
111. Export table - a 10 gig table
110. Extents, Blocks, etc. - can anyone point me to
109. NUM_ROWS statistic incorrect
108. Moving Datafiles
107. Password after installation???
106. Invalid status after successful run of
105. Shutdown NORMAL not working
104. Oracle long field attribute - length
103. Default value of pct_increase
102. How to display date and time from 'Select
101. Oracle 8 on HP/UX 10.x
100. What happens if...
99. DB_BLOCK_SIZE: Possible Misinformation
98. Inserts too slow
97. How to determine free memory in Oracle
96. how to solve it?
95. select and update by row number
94. Rollback tablespace fragmentation
93. [Q] how to find how many rows in each table in
92. Database can't start - missing datafile!
91. rescuing index
90. How can I determine the size of my Oracle
89. Tablespace Creation trouble - Help!
88. Performance Question
87. Export/Import to migrate platforms
86. HELP returning rows from stored proc
85. Size of physical datafiles ..URGENT!!!!!
84. Is Oracle the worst-documented product of all
83. Is there a solution for varchar2 !
82. How to move a user's tables from one tablespace
to another tablespace.
81. Writing ASCII data to Oracle DB, howto?
80. table all_errors does not exist!
79. Hanging ORACLE database
78. SQL*Plus / Windows NT / host commands
77. integer division
76. Dec Unix - Error on create TS datafile
75. Q: How to reconfigure shared-memory segment
size in Sun Solaris 2.5.1 kernel (SPARC)
74. PLS-00323 error
73. ROWID Arithmetic
72. Generators for Primary Keys
71. PCTUSED - How can I display the value of a
70. How to copy LONG column
69. Question about check constraint
68. How to change password in SqlPlus/Net?
67. Tablespace Fragmentation
66. dbms_output causing problems
65. Scheduled Hot Online Backups - HELP!!!
63. Help on how to get decode the resource id
62. How do you determine free space in DB?
61. How can I find how many instances in a server
60. System and temp tablespace
59. Poor perfmance after large delete
58. PL/SQL manuals?
57. limiting rows returned ?
56. Question on tablespaces and table spaces
55. Case insensitive
54. [HELP] How can I find deadlocks?
53. Ora-600 Space Leak...Explain, causes
52. ORA-0729 on HP
51. newbie.. start services/database
50. "Product user profile information not
49. Am I running out of extents (fragmentation)?
48. Fixed format output
46. core dump while querying large tables
45. Adding Users
44. SQL Statement
43. SQL*Plus spooling problem
42. REDO log shifts are blocking for DB updates
41. Functions becoming invalid
40. Oracle Server Manager
39. ROLLBACK SEGMENTS: Some basic questions
38. ORA-01555 snapshot too old and ORA-01658
unable to create
37. ANALYZE %
36. URGENT: more extents needed!
35. SQL*Net message from SQL*Plus
34. Help ! problems with temp file
33. ORA-01555 snapshot too old and ORA-01658 unable
32. Rollback segments
31. Capturing SQL commands
30. SYSDATE - Time slow to update?
29. SQL question: Views
28. How can I find out who is currently using the
27. NEWBIE: file structure for ORACLE
26. Help!! Object does not exist
25. Oracle EXPORT re: Tables only
24. ORA-1041 Internal error HOSTDEF does not exist
23. Sequence Caches
22. Delete without Rollback?
21. How do I reclaim index space?
20. Starting a job at specified intervals
19. Backup of Oracle databases
18. Performance - empty blocks, 7.1 UNIX
17. Comparing two databases
16. Import/Export Facility
15. Question: How to handle duplicate table names?
14. Using alter table add constraint syntax?
13. SQL Query
12. Dead SQL*Net Process
11. Set instance 2: command
10. ORA-3113 errors, suddenly
9. Error - ORA-01652
8. This is an easy one. How do I do a simple
directory list of my Oracle7 tables?
7. Need help with simple SQL syntax
6. Export a Table from Oracle to ASCII File
5. Cannot Do 'CONNECT INTERNAL' to do System Shutdown
4. Insufficient Privileges with SYS for SQL*DBA
3. How to use " in Oracle Data
2. ORA-01555 Snapshot too Old?
1. Whacko SQL*Net Errors
Ari Kaplan's Presentations and
Download the Expand Beyond Powerpoint
Download the Raoul Wallenberg Examination
of Consistency of Eyewitness Sightings (Cell Occupancy Analysis of Korpus 2 of
the Vladimir Prison)
Download the Raoul Wallenberg Report of
the Swedish-Russian Working Group
Download the Powerpoint presentation for
"Managing Your Enterprise in a Mobile World"
Download the Powerpoint presentation for
"Welcome to Oracle 10g Data Dictionary and Initialization Parameters"
Download the Powerpoint presentation for
"Life Without Tools Monitoring Database Activity With the Power of
the Powerpoint presentation of "Moving to the Web: How to Prepare for the
Download the Powerpoint presentation of
"Introduction to Oracle"
the Powerpoint presentation of "A Bag of Tips and Techniques for DBAs and
the Powerpoint presentation of "More Tips and Techniques for DBAs and
the Powerpoint presentation of "Password Management for Oracle8"
April 6, 1999 : It's official! The FIRST Windows2000 book in the world is
out. In Italian and Chinese, translated from my NT5 book.
can view all tips in a particular category by clicking on one below:
Kaplan in the News:
Review: Executive Interview
05/01/02: U.S. 1, Princeton's Business and
Entertainment Weekly: Computer Festival Child Becomes a Keynote
04/29/02: Times of Trenton: Local Computer Prodigy
Returns as Festival Speaker
11/19/01: Crain's 40 Under 40
09/01/01: September 2001 From Contractor to CEO:
The Career of Ari Kaplan
05/21/01: Chicago Sun-Times: PocketDBA lets database
chiefs work at remote site
07/15/00: July / August Peer-to-Peer in Oracle Magazine
06/18/00: Chicago Tribune (Front Page of
Jobs Section): "Pick to Click" in the Midwest
01/20/00: Chicago Daily Herald / Raoul Wallenberg Article
01/19/00: Chicago Sun Times / Answers sought on Wallenberg
10/01/99:October's cover story of Contract Professional Magazine.
Order your copy today!
11/15/99 : ComputerWorld: "Hot Spots"
10/25/99 : ComputerWorld cover lead:
to CALTECH for being selected as the NUMBER ONE University in America by
"US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT". See the US NEWS article here.
Article on BG&E project, for which Ari was Oracle DBA .
articles on Ari's Baseball Research .
On June 13, 1997 Ari Kaplan was named
recipient of the prestigious "Caltech Alumni of the Decade". Click
for the complete list. Guess which Nobel Laureates he shares the prize with. .
Ari Kaplan's Co-Authored Books:
[ Sign the GuestBook ] - [ Read the GuestBook ]
Ari Kaplan's Oracle Topics:
The Internet's Most Comprehensive Oracle
Bookstore (169 books)
Ari's Oracle Links
Ari Kaplan's Home Page